|CentrePort Resumes Operations after Quake Checks|
|Tuesday, 23 July 2013 11:47|
CentrePort says it has resumed all port operations today, after engineers checked the company’s buildings and infrastructure yesterday, which had been affected by Sunday’s 6.5 magnitude earthquake.
Chairman Warren Larsen says all port workers and tenants were safe and accounted for, though many were unnerved by the earthquake that happened at 5.09pm on Sunday night.
He said almost all port services continued unaffected by the shakes, but the container terminal was temporarily suspended, pending checks by geotechnical engineers.
“We called in the experts to check both the land and structures at the port and were able to resume normal operations, which included unloading a container ship at 5pm yesterday, and the resumption of ferry services.”
Mr Larsen said engineers had assessed all port infrastructure and the Harbour Quays buildings as structurally sound, but a lot of superficial damage would need to be fixed, particularly in the BNZ building. Repairs are expected to take 6-8 weeks.
“I’ve inspected the buildings myself and whilst there is damage to ceiling panels and light fittings, and water damage, engineers advise it’s not structural damage.”
CentrePort was working with the BNZ, Statistics New Zealand and other tenants on plans to repair the damaged fittings and fixtures in their respective buildings, and on re-establishing critical business functions.
The southern access road at the container terminal - which is not critical to port operations - remains closed after part of the road slipped into the harbour.
A container with port equipment also fell into the sea and CentrePort will recover it as soon as possible.
Mr Larsen said it was too early to put a figure on the repair bill. The company is yet to discuss the details with its engineers, tenants and insurers.
For more info please call: