|CentrePort Confirms New Ways to Get Containers Moving Again|
|Friday, 25 November 2016 09:26|
With the help of shipping lines, customers and suppliers, CentrePort staff have managed to implement new ways to get container freight moving through the port, following the impact of last week’s 7.8 magnitude earthquake.
Chief Executive Derek Nind says the suspension of shipping operations from the damaged container terminal had forced the company to think differently about its business.
“With our two gantry cranes and container berth out of action, our staff have worked with shipping lines, customers and suppliers to find alternative ways to move containers in and out of the port and across the region, which will give customers options to get their freight
One new way of working includes the use of container ships with their own cranes on board, which will start with the arrival of the MSC Penelope on Monday 28th November.
Mr Nind said the company was working on other short and medium-term solutions including mobile cranes on the wharf, and the possibility of building a bespoke platform to support the existing gantry cranes.
“The significant damage caused by the earthquake has reduced our container shipping capability in the short to medium-term.
“We are currently assessing the options, while also talking to our customers everyday so they know what’s happening.”
CentrePort Chairman Lachie Johnstone said the board was pleased with progress made by the Port, which had worked with various agencies to get up and running after the quake.
“We’ve got ferries, fuel, logs, cars, and cruise ships operating successfully and we’re working on solutions for our container service, which is vital to many businesses and households across central New Zealand.”
Mr Johnstone said the company had begun talking to a range of key stakeholders about long-term measures to improve resilience at the Port, which contributes $2.5 billion to GDP and supports 21,000 jobs in the central region.
- ENDS -